New Met Station One Offers Five
Weather Sensors in Compact Package
The new Met Station One (MSO) weather station combines five of the most popular meteorological measurements into one simple, economical package, allowing for efficient and accurate comprehensive weather monitoring to be added to any existing site or new installation.
The New Met Station One
Designed by Met One Instruments based on their quality meteorology sensor line, the MSO includes wind speed, wind direction, temperature, relative humidity, and barometric pressure sensors. Rainfall measurement option can be added by integrating a tipping bucket rain gage directly into the serial message being outputted by the MSO, or by simply connecting it to another port on a data logger shared with the MSO.
The pre-assembled MSO is ready for immediate deployment and includes u-bolt hardware for mounting to a pole, mast, or pipe. The air temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure sensors are housed in a solar radiation shield positioned below the mechanical wind direction and speed sensor.
The MSO wind direction sensor data output uses a rolling 3-second vector average to calculate wind direction units in degrees. The built-in vector averaging feature of the MSO is advantageous because wind sensors without this will not report average wind direction properly if the wind vane turns more than 360° (a problem known as wrap around).
A wind sensor without vector averaging can report wind direction that may be up to 180° off from actual wind direction measurements. If one measurement is taken at 350°, and another measurement is taken at 10°, the resulting average will show a direction of 180°, or south ((350 + 10)/2 = 180). However, the actual wind direction should be averaged to show 0°, or a north wind direction.
All other parameters are reported on a rolling 3-second scalar average. Scalar averaging is normal arithmetic averaging, and the MSO will add up sensor readings for 3 seconds, average these readings, and then output them to the data logger or telemetry device/radio.
SDI-12 and RS-232 are the standard outputs offered with the MSO, allowing compatibility with most popular data loggers, such as the Stevens DataLogic 3000. RS-485 or RS-422 outputs are available upon request.
Available now from Stevens Water - the MSO lists for $1,200.
Met Station One Specifications:
Wind Speed and Direction
- Wind Speed Range: 0 – 50 m/sec (may be set to mph)
- Wind Speed Resolution: 0.1 m/sec (may be set to mph)
- Wind Speed Accuracy: ± 2%
- Wind Direction Range: 0 – 360°
- Wind Direction Resolution: 1°
- Wind Direction Accuracy: ± 5°
- Threshold, both Speed & Direction: 1 m/sec (may be set to mph)
Temperature and Humidity
- Temperature Range: -40°C to +60°C (may be set to Fahrenheit)
- Temperature Resolution: 0.1°C (may be set to Fahrenheit)
- Temperature Accuracy: ± 0.5°C (may be set to Fahrenheit)
- Relative Humidity Range: 0 - 100%
- Relative Humidity Resolution: 1%
- Relative Humidity Accuracy: ± 4%
- Measurement Range: 500 – 1100 mbars (may be set to inHg)
- Measurement Resolution: 0.1 mbar (may be set to inHg)
- Measurement Accuracy: ± 2 mbars (may be set to inHg)