USB port (allows connection to computer for configuration changes instead of via cell connection)
Standard RS-232 serial port (connect to logger or smart sensor)
GPS antenna connector
Cell-Net is a simple cellular telemetry solution for new or existing remote monitoring stations. Cell-Net offers a web-based configuration utility that makes it easy to install and configure forwarding of remote data to any destination.
Unlike typical cellular modems which have a constant high power draw, Cell-Net operates almost entirely in an ultra-low power mode yet still provides the benefits of 2-way communications, and optimizes successful transport of data for maximum reliability.
- Designed specifically for easy configuration and provisioning for remote sites that are costly to visit.
- Approximately 20X typical improvement in power consumption vs. typical cellular telemetry.
- Provides the benefits of a 2-way connection without high power consumption.
- Data transmission via FTP, HTTP protocols (or both simultaneously) or IP protocol.
- Intelligent data management, data buffering, and network verification to ensure successful transmission of critical data.
- Can be used with your choice of cellular carriers (3G GSM or 3G CDMA).
- Integrated GPS for time, longitude and latitude.
- Perfect for any application, monitoring any parameters.
- Easy configuration: Configure via the web-based portal or by connecting to a PC and using an intuitively designed Windows program. No custom programming or scripts required.
- Smart power management: Cell-Net features an ultra-low-power mode that consumes just 1.6mA at idle (that’s less than 1% of a typical cell modem). When transmitting, power draw is similar to other modems, but this is only for very short periods at user-controlled transmission intervals.
- Data management: Cell-Net will listen for a connected logger or smart sensor to receive data in the buffer before transmitting. Once received, data can either be transmitted immediately, or after the buffer exceeds a defined size, or transmitted based on a user-defined interval.
- Redundancy: Data is transmitted for current reporting cycle and the last reporting cycle.
- Reliability: Cell-Net verifies connection with cell network and HTTP server connection before data is sent. If no connection is available or if data reception is not confirmed, data is saved and sent the next scheduled transmission.
- Data flexibility: Forward your data to any destination to access with any software platform, like Aquarius or our own cloud-based Stevens-Connect.
- Connect directly to the cloud: Provides direct IP connectivity to data loggers and smart sensors through a standard RS-232 serial port. No other interface hardware required.
- Predict and prevent problems: In addition to internal diagnostics, station and transmission health and performance data can be included in each transmission.
Dead simple setup and configuration.
Configure anytime, anywhere, with any device.
Connect to power source.
Configure data handling (frequency, redundancy, destination) with a simple online GUI.
Stevens’ MEASUREMENTS TO MIND strategy maximizes reliability of your remote monitoring network and makes it simple to connect your station directly to the cloud.
Up to 20x better power efficiency vs. typical cellular modems.
The key to the extreme power efficiency of Cell-Net is its “hybrid” approach to 2-way communications. Not only does it consume less power than typical cell modems when in standard 2-way communications mode, but it also offers an ultra-low power mode that sacrifices some responsiveness in two-way connectivity for an extremely low power consumption that makes it suitable for remote stations monitoring critical data.
Typical cellular modems
Full 2-way communication mode
Commands can be sent remotely through a web interface to switch Cell-Net into full 2-way communication mode. When it’s not in full 2-way mode, the command will be received during the next scheduled transmittal of data (each time data is sent from the remote site, Cell-Net also downloads any new configuration files—the new configuration would contain the command to switch to 2-way mode). In full 2-way mode, the modem is “on-line” and actively listening for commands, and can respond immediately when commands are sent. Power consumption is higher at idle however (150 mA). A new configuration file will also deliver the command to switch back to ultra-low power mode.
Typical cellular modems are always in full 2-way communicate mode, and is always “on-line” and actively listening for commands, responding immediately when commands are sent. Power consumption is always high (220 mA at idle) however, which is why cellular has traditionally not been a practical option for very remote sites that monitor critical data.
Power consumption at idle
Ultra-low power mode
Power consumption at idle
Transmit new data
On schedule, or when triggered
When in ultra low-power mode, new data that is received from an attached data logger or smart sensor is buffered in internal memory and transmitted when:
- the next interval of a pre-defined schedule occurs
- immediately, if Cell-Net has been programmed to transmit data when it receives specific data from the attached data logger or smart sensor (this is called “triggered” data). Users also have control over a delay period after the data is received from the logger but before it is transmitted, to account for variable length pauses from different sensors.
Download new configuration data
On schedule, or when triggered
In ultra-low power mode, each time data is transmitted Cell-Net will check for a new configuration (that has been created via a web-based interface). Since data is transmitted only when a scheduled interval occurs or if it has been programmed to send when it receives new data (triggered data), new configurations are not able to be downloaded as soon as they are sent.
Web-Based Station Management, Data Access and Data Processing
Access all current and historical data from any Internet-connected device, anytime.
|Listen/trigger mode/idle||1.6 mA|
|Data receive/store/prepare for transmission||150 mA|
|Data transmit||250 mA|
|Input voltage||10 to 18 VDC|
|TX output power||24.3 dBm (270 mW)|
|Dimensions||1 3/8” (3.5 cm) x 5 1/8” (13 cm) x 3 3/4” (9.7 cm)|
|Weight||10.78 oz (305.6 g)|
|Operating temperature||-30°C to 65°C (SIM Card selection may limit this range for GSM version)|
|Storage temperature||-40°C to 85°C (SIM Card selection may limit this range for GSM version)|
|Power||Indicates power to the unit|
|GPS||Indicates if GPS does not have location fix|
|Cell||Indicates if there is a connection to the tower|
|BIST||Built-in self test|
|Communication with data logger/smart sensors||RS-232|
|Communication with PC||USB B|
|Power cable with flying leads, dipole dual-band cellular 800/1900 MHz antenna, USB cable.|
Shop Online / Inquire
Need more information? We’re here to help!
Tell us a bit about yourself and your question and we’ll get back to you ASAP.